Skye Marie – an angel who is earning her wings
One year ago my daughter, Skye, became my guardian angel. Six months into a healthy, happy pregnancy I was told that she was too beautiful for this world. After I delivered her, she passed silently in my arms.
There is nothing more debilitating than losing your child, and the gratitude I have for the social worker, nurses and doctors at the hospital is endless. They saved my life; from hugs and a hand to hold, to arranging a birth plan, and even following up with me after my loss. When my life came to a standstill, it was those moments that helped me begin to grieve and grasp the reality that she was gone forever.
Even though she is not in my arms, she is my strength every single day. She taught me that life is truly a blessing, and that each and every footprint you make can make an impact. I want her loss to help other parents who are forced to go through the same painful journey.
I am asking you to help me remember Skye’s brief life by making a donation to the Child Bereavement Services here at Belleville General Hospital. Funds will go towards a variety of services that help parents cope with a loss of a child at any age, including:
- Building a bereavement library and providing take-home resources
- Professional photography services
- Keepsakes to help parents cherish the precious moments shared with their child, such as hand and footprints, blankets and keepsake boxes
- Creating and furnishing bereavement and spiritual care rooms
- Annual remembrance events where grieving families can find continued support from both other families and BGH
- Education for frontline hospital staff
Every moment that a parent gets to spend with their child is a precious memory that will one day be remembered and treasured. Please help BGH make memories.